More about heritage

The area of the cultivated karst landscape of the Lipica Stud Farm encompasses pastures and meadows with protective fences, oak groves and avenues. The man-made landscape of Lipica is an integral and redesigned natural environment whose development is based on many centuries’ tradition of horse breeding. The human has improved the bleak karst landscape and cultivated the land for the purpose of pasture and mowing. The present site plan of Lipica is the same as it was prior to 1817, evidence of which can be found in the cartographic records of the time. Even earlier than 1817, the estate was lined with an eight-kilometre long dry wall which is typical of the Karst. The role of the time-consuming construction of this dry wall was not merely functional, as the wall also symbolises the integrity and uniqueness of the Lipica cultural landscape. From the historical aspect the land use has always been subject to the continuous breeding of the same horse breed. The spatial integrity of the original stud farm which gave birth to one of the oldest breeds of horses makes this place unique – even on a global scale.

Constructed parts under the special protection of monumental heritage are: the manor complex with Velbanca and a church, stable complex with silos and dressage areas, Hotel Klub, the collection of works of art of Avgust Černigoj, their characteristic place in the gallery and the park inventory from the karst stone.

The historical core of Lipica was completed in the first decades of the 18th century. In addition to the manor and ‘Velbanca’, it also encompassed a storehouse for grain called 'Magacin' (today a wedding hall) and small houses around the associated courtyard. The original settlement design was also due to the need for arranging relatively large yards intended for horse riding and schooling. A triumphal arch was closing the yard at the southern side. The axis of the main entrance route ran through it and ended at the entrance portal of Velbanca. A magnificent arched stable has been intended for Lipizzan stallions since it has been built and is architecturally the most accomplished building of the old core. Velbanca here assumes a place usually taken by a church in a settlement. Even the renaissance manor which used to be the emperor’s residence when he was in Lipica has a less dominant part in the organisation of the settlement. Velbanca was built in 1703 in place of an older building also intended for horses. To the south there was a chapel and, where there is an inn today, a chaplaincy. The chapel is dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua, the patron of horses.

After 1815 when the French left, new extensive construction in Lipica began. In 1819 a stable was built to the south along the axis of Trieste. A few decades afterwards the old stables in place of today’s ones “on borjača” were demolished. In this place the construction of new stables and a riding hall began in 1852.

In the middle of the 19th century the third, northern connection with Lipica was established simultaneously with the construction of the new railway and road connection between Vienna and Trieste through Sežana. This ends with the direction of Lokev where it has been interrupted. The construction of stables “On borjača” interrupts the logical end of the Lokev route towards Velbanca. Thus the centre of the stud farm was transferred from the old centre in the direction towards Lokev. This is confirmed by further expansion which followed at the end of 19th century with the construction of the anniversary stable (1898-1899). The building was completed on the 50th anniversary of the rule of Emperor Francis Joseph.

In the 1970’s a new riding hall had been built behind ‘Abrihtunga’ with a smaller riding hall with stables. The facilities intended for breeding Lipizzan horses and working with them are apart from stables and riding halls also outdoor riding areas and all the area required for organising equestrian events. In 1977 a hippodrome with arranged access exactly in the axis of the direction of Sežana was built somewhat distanced in the south-western direction. It was built in the period of the approaching four hundredth anniversary of the Lipica Stud Farm.  On this occasion Hotel Klub was built.

On the anniversary an international sculptural workshop taking place one month with the result of park inventory in the karst stone was organised. Later, on the 425th anniversary of the Lipica Stud Farm the second international sculptural workshop was organised.

A new cultural acquisition of the Lipica Stud Farm is the collection of works of art of Avgust Černigoj. The painter, who spent his last years in Hotel Maestoso of Lipica showed his gratitude towards Lipica Stud Farm by giving it a rich collection of his works. The Lipica Stud Farm promised to arrange a special gallery in which the group Novi Kolektivizem (New Collectivism) displayed the collection of Černigoj's works in 1988.

Cultural Heritage

In 1996 the Stud Farm Lipica was declared a cultural monument of outstanding importance for the Republic of Slovenia by adopting the Act on Lipica Stud Farm .

The protected area of the Lipica Stud Farm, which is under the special protection of monumental heritage, consists of a cultivated Karst landscape, a herd of horses of Lipizzan breed and the architectural and art heritage.

The area of the cultivated Karst landscape of the Lipica Stud Farm encompasses pastures and meadows with protective fences, oak groves and avenues of trees. The man-made landscape of Lipica is an integral and redesigned natural environment whose development is based on many centuries’ tradition of horse breeding. The human has improved the bleak Karst landscape and cultivated the land for the purpose of pasture and mowing. The present site plan of Lipica is the same as it was prior to 1817, evidence of which can be found in the cartographic records of the time. Even earlier than 1817, the estate was lined with an eight-kilometre long dry wall which is typical of the Karst. The role of the time-consuming construction of this dry wall was not merely functional, as the wall also symbolises the integrity and uniqueness of the Lipica landscape. From a historical point of view, the land use has always been subject to the continuous breeding of the same horse breed. The spatial integrity of the stud farm which gave birth to one of the oldest breeds of horses makes this place unique – even on a global scale.

Constructed parts under the special protection of monumental heritage are: the manor complex with Velbanca and a church, stable complex with silos and dressage areas, Hotel Klub, the collection of works of art of Avgust Černigoj, their characteristic place in the gallery and the park inventory from the karst stone.

The historical core of Lipica was completed in the first decades of the 18th century. In addition to the manor and ‘Velbanca’, it also encompassed a storehouse for grain called 'Magacin' (today a wedding hall) and small houses around the courtyard. The original settlement design was also due to the need for arranging relatively large yards intended for horse riding and schooling. A triumphal arch was closing the yard at the southern side. The axis of the main entrance route ran through it and ended at the entrance portal of Velbanca. A magnificent arched stable has been intended for Lipizzan stallions since it has been built and is architecturally the most accomplished building of the old core. Velbanca here assumes a place usually taken by a church in a settlement. Even the renaissance manor which used to be the emperor’s residence when he was in Lipica has a less dominant part in the organisation of the settlement. Velbanca was built in 1703 in place of an older building also intended for horses. To the south there was a chapel and, where there is an inn today, a chaplaincy. The chapel is dedicated to St. Anthony of Padua, the patron of horses.

After 1815 when the French left, new extensive construction in Lipica began. In 1819 a stable was built to the south along the axis of Trieste. A few decades afterwards the old stables in place of today’s ones “On borjača” were demolished. In this place the construction of new stables and a riding hall began in 1852.
In the middle of the 19th century the third, northern connection with Lipica was established simultaneously with the construction of the new railway and road connection between Vienna and Trieste through Sežana. This ends with the direction of the village of Lokev where it has been interrupted. The construction of stables “On borjača” interrupts the logical end of the Lokev route towards Velbanca. Thus the centre of the stud farm was transferred from the old centre in the direction towards Lokev. This is confirmed by further expansion which followed at the end of 19th century with the construction of the anniversary stable (1898-1899). The building was completed on the 50th anniversary of the rule of Emperor Francis Joseph.

In the 1970’s a new riding hall had been built behind ‘Abrihtunga’ with a smaller riding hall with stables. The facilities intended for breeding Lipizzan horses and working with them are apart from stables and riding halls also open-air riding halls and all the area required for organising equestrian events. In 1977 a hippodrome with arranged access exactly in the axis of the direction of Sežana was built somewhat distanced in the south-western direction. It was built in the period of the approaching four hundredth anniversary of the Lipica Stud Farm. On this occasion Hotel Klub was built.

On the anniversary an international sculptural workshop taking place one month with the result of park inventory in the karst stone was organised. Later, on the 425th anniversary of the Lipica Stud Farm the second international sculptural workshop was organised.

A new cultural acquisition of the Lipica Stud Farm is the collection of works of art of Avgust Černigoj. The painter, who spent his last years in Hotel Maestoso of Lipica showed his gratitude towards Lipica Stud Farm by giving it a rich collection of his works. The Lipica Stud Farm promised to arrange a special gallery in which the group Novi Kolektivizem (New Collectivism) displayed the collection of Černigoj's works in 1988.