Heritage of the Stud farm and lipizzan horses
The outstandingness of the Lipica Stud Farm in the field of cultural and natural heritage is based on the following facts:
- It is the original stud farm of one of the oldest cultural horse breeds – the Lipizzan horse breed,
- It is the oldest European stud farm breeding a single breed of horse,
- Its area is the only micro location ensuring optimum conditions for top breeding of Lipizzan horses,
- It presents a unique atmosphere with individual elements – spatial arrangement, architectural core and cultural landscape which were formed exclusively for the purpose of the basic, original activity – breeding of Lipizzan horses,
- It has an exceptional development potential in the sense of preserving top breeding of Lipizzan horses worldwide,
- Its development has an outstanding importance for the international reputation of Slovenia,
- Protected values of cultural landscape and architectural heritage of the Lipica Stud Farm have a permanent and exclusive function of the original activity of the stud farm – horse breeding and riding.
The Republic of Slovenia is committed to acknowledging the international status of the stud farm as a horse breeding organisation holding the original studbook for the Lipizzan horse.
Natural and cultural heritage
In 1996 the Lipica Stud Farm was declared a cultural monument of outstanding importance for the Republic of Slovenia by adopting the Act on Stud Farm Lipica.
The protected territory of the Lipica Stud Farm, which is as a part of monumental whole under special protection, consists of a cultivated Karst landscape, a herd of horses of Lipizzan breed and the architectural and art heritage.
The territory under monument protection:
- Karst shaft Lipiško brezno, deep corrosion karst shaft
Areas in nature proposed as natural values:
- Lipica, pastures and forests,
- Location of fossils
- Pekel Cave